Monday, December 10, 2012

The Great Fakeout


 
 

For my family, eating well is kind of just what we do.  Not perfect, but in a health-conscious way that is more habitual than not.  In making sure no one feels deprived, I've tried to create alternatives to processed and high caloric foods.  These are frequent (sometimes daily) go-tos for us.  I should again mention that these foods would all be kid friendly if my kid ate.  I'm still working on finding what it is that makes him happy.  Oh but when I do....

                                       
                                                         Roasted Carrots and Parsnips

Since I'm still losing baby weight and am adhering to the no carbs after lunch rule, roasted carrots and parsnips are a sweet/salty alternative.  I understand there are naturally occuring carbs in both these vegetables.  But keep in mind, the simple starches and incredible vitamin supply are always going to be better than a complex carb like those found in crackers, chips, etc.

To make these, simply preheat the oven to 425.  Peel and slice the desired about of carrots and parsnips.  (If you are wary about parsnips, don't be!  Like carrots sweeter, milder cousin, they are in season during the chilly winter months.  They remind me of homemade vegetable soup).   Toss with 1-2 tablespoons good olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Roast on the bottom rack for 25-27 minutes, turning once.  Once they're done, sprinkle lightly with sea salt for added texture.  Perfect as a side or cold during the day (my favorite!).  You'll never miss the bread.  Unless there's an incredible foccacia with dipping oil offered.  In which case, you're done.

                                                
                                 Old-fashioned Oats with Egg Whites, Cheddar and Turkey Sausage

 
Here's the story of me and breakfast.  I'll eat the same thing everyday for roughly two years.  Then I'll get sick of it, never want to see it again and swear to drink kale shakes everyday until the end of time.  Then the sweet call of oatmeal lures me back in.  Nothing against kale shakes, but I'm a hearty breakfast gal.  In the mornings, I'm either headed to work and don't have time to eat before lunch, or I'm prepping for a workout.  I need protein to sustain me.  I've been on an oatmeal and egg white kick ever since I started lifting.  It was suggested as a smart protein-rich alternative.  I'm not positive they meant to combine them, but I do and now I have about five variations.  The above is my absolute favorite. 

First, sausage is my weakness.  The Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles offer just enough to satisfy my cravings.  The suggested serving size is a 1/2 cup.  I use about half that and it's more than enough.  Secondly, I'd only done sweeter versions of oatmeal and egg whites up until I came up with this savory creation.  In general I'd add two packets of Stevia, cinnamon and chia seeds.   However, when I got pregnant I swore off all sweetners and thus the Stevia went out the window and I needed a replacement.  The egg, cheese, sausage combo goes above and beyond.   If you're not anti-sweetner, feel free to try the aforementioned version.  It's incredible.

I'm also a fan of peanut butter in oatmeal (no egg whites) or canned pumpkin (go ahead and add them here).  Pumpkin, egg whites, a little pumpkin pie spice and maybe a swirl of cream cheese (I won't tell), is like Thanksgiving with out all the guilt.

So this fakeout; old-fashioned oats (they have to be the kind that cook in about 5 minutes to reap all that whole grain goodness), GOOD cheddar cheese (you're just using a tiny touch so make it awesome), turkey sausage crumbles and egg whites (2-3) is the PERFECT sub for an omelet or traditional butter-laden breakfast.  I assemble all the parts seperately and combine before DEVOURING.

                                                 
                                             Frozen Greek Yogurt with Peanut Butter and Banana

Dessert.  Not a neccesity here.  But, sometimes you just need something sweet.  Sometimes you need ice cream.  And then sometimes you remember you've got 20 more pounds to lose and that's out of the question.  Also, this is so protein packed it could lift itself.

Everything here is to taste, no exact measurements.  Though, I do admit, I tried about 6 batches before I truly got a hang of it.  This is simply low-fat Greek yogurt, mashed ripe banana and peanut butter swirled together and frozen.  I'll contradict myself here.  I have put a little Stevia in the Raw in here to see if the added sweetness helps.  It does, but as always, I feel Stevia adds an aftertaste. 

Lastly, I add a pinch of sea salt to this before I freeze it.  That is TOTALLY optional, I just really lke a salty element to my desserts.  This is unbelievably satisfying.  Make it tonight, especially if you've worked out and need a recovery snack.  The peanut butter and bananas do add up in the calorie department.  While they pack a nutritional punch, be aware.  You may be tempted to eat the whole bowl.







No comments:

Post a Comment